Although there has been no official statement from Google, we believe there was a fairly significant Google update during November, focusing on the freshness and quality of a website’s content.
After seeing a rise in keyword ranking fluctuations mid-November, we headed straight over to the SEMrush Sensor to check for SERP turbulence, and YIKES, 8.8/10 on the volatility scale:
What does it mean?
We believe that this update, although not confirmed by Google, positively affected websites that post frequent and relevant content related to the terms they want to rank for, i.e. the businesses key products or services. On the other hand, websites that are not posting fresh content were affected negatively.
Where do you go from here?
If you have experienced negative results, assess your website’s content and put a together a solid strategy moving forward:
- When was the last time you reviewed your key service or product pages?
- Is there a sufficient amount of content?
- Do you have up to date information on your homepage and about pages?
- Do you have frequently asked questions about your business, services and products?
- Do you have a news or blog section on your website filled with useful and topical content?
We have seen clients with blogs and regularly updated content hugely benefit. If you would like help with your content strategy, please get in touch with the BritWeb team on 01403 261491.